Important information on compulsory motor third party liability insurance
INFORMATION ABOUT THE INSURER AND THE PRODUCT under Art. 324 and Article 326 of the Insurance Code:
"GENERALI INSURANCE" AD is an insurer - a joint-stock company, entered in the Commercial Register at the Registry Agency of the Republic of Bulgaria, with headquarters and address of management in Sofia, 1504, Knyaz Alexander Dondukov Blvd., No 68.
On the corporate website http://www.generali.bg/ you will find and you can find out in detail the report on the solvency and financial condition of GENERALI INSURANCE AD.
You may file complaints under the Internal rules of Generali Insurance AD for administration of applications, complaints, signals and recommendations from users of insurance services, which are published on the following website https://klienti.generali.bg/.
Bulgarian legislation allows insurance service users to file complaints about these services and the FSC and other public authorities, as well as allowing out-of-court dispute resolution.
The Bulgarian legislation applies to insurance contracts concluded with "GENERALI INSURANCE" AD.
• Online Motor Third Party Liability insurance concluded through the portal online.generali.bg is valid for 1 year. The premium is paid in one installment. To conclude Motor Third Party Liability insurance for a period shorter than 1 year, according the conditions in Article 489 of the Insurance Code (IC), please visit the nearest to you representative of Generali Insurance AD.
• The General Insurance Conditions for this insurance are governed by the Insurance Code (IC) and Regulation No. 49 of 16th October 2014 on the Compulsory Insurance Pursuant to Items 1 and 2 of Article 461 of the Insurance Code and on the Procedure of Settlement of Claims for Indemnity for Damages Caused to Motor Vehicles, issued by the Financial Supervision Commission.
• Subject-matter of insurance under the compulsory Motor Third Party Liability insurance is the civil liability of insured persons for injury or damage caused to third parties with reference to possession and/or operation of motor vehicles, whereas insured persons are liable for under the applicable Bulgarian legislation or pursuant to the applicable laws and regulations of the country where the injury or damage has occurred.
• The foregoing insurance covers the liability of the insured person for damage caused within the territory of:
- Republic of Bulgaria in compliance with the Bulgaria’s legislation;
- A member state of the European Union in compliance with their legislation;
- A member state of the European Economic Area in compliance with their legislation;
- Third state pursuant to Art. 480, par. 1(3) of the IC (where damages have been caused to parties from a member state of the European Union or from a member state of the European Economic Area while traveling between two member states of the European Union or member states of the European Economic Area, and provided that there is no national insurance bureau to assume the liability for within the territory of such a third state. In such case the liability is covered pursuant to the legislation of the member state of the European Union and accordingly the other state belonging to the European Economic Area, where the motor vehicle, for which the insurance has been purchased, is usually domiciled).
- A third country whose national insurers bureau is party to the Multilateral Agreement under its law.
Sums insured (limits of liability) applicable within the territory of the Republic of Bulgaria:
|For property damage up to:||For property damage, bodily injury or death|
|For one injured person up to:||For two or more injured persons up to:|
|Two million BGN||Two million BGN||Ten million BGN|
• Sums insured for territories of other member states of the European Union or for member states of the European Economic Area are in conformity with their respective local laws and regulations.
• Sums insured for territories of third states are set out in the provisions of Art. 480, par. 1(3) of the Insurance Code.
• The motor vehicle owner whose name appears in the insurance policy as well as any other person who lawfully operates such vehicle are equally deemed insured persons.
• Third party is any person except for the person who is liable for the damage or injury caused.
• The period of insurance is one year. Purchase of motor third party liability insurance for a shorter period, but not shorter than 30 days, is only permissible in the cases provided for in Art. 489 of the IC.
• Where the insurance premium is paid under a premium installment plan, installment payments are paid by the insured in the amounts and at the times set out in the insurance policy. Failure by the insured to pay a premium installment payment results in termination of the insurance contract at 24:00 on the fifteenth day of the payment due date of the outstanding installment payment.
• Where an occurrence of an insured event has resulted in damage to or injury of third parties, the insured person is obligated to notify in writing within 7 days the nearest insurer’s office. Such notice may likewise be sent by the injured person. The insured person is obligated to notify the insurer within the same period of time of claims brought against them by the injured person(s) and of payments made to them, if any. In the event of claim brought by the injured person(s), the insured person is obligated to request that the insurer is called upon in legal proceedings if so permitted by the law.
• Agreements reached between the insured and the injured person(s) on the amount of indemnity as well as acknowledgement of liability by the insured person are not binding upon the insurer unless approved by the insurer. Arrangements reached between the parties in criminal proceedings on amounts of indemnity under civil claims are also deemed to be agreements.
• The occurrence of an insured event on the territory of Republic of Bulgaria is to be evidenced by documents required under the Road Traffic Act, the Rules for Implementation of the Road Traffic Act, or through other documents issued by the authorities of the Ministry of Interior or by court authorities.
• In the event of change in the ownership of the motor vehicle appearing in the insurance policy, the contract for motor third party liability insurance is not terminated. The former owner of the motor vehicle is obligated to provide the new owner with all documents evidencing that the insurance policy has been purchased. The former owner and the new owner of the motor vehicle are obligated to notify in writing the insurer of the transfer of ownership within 7 days.
Instructions upon occurrence of road traffic accident abroad
• It is in your interest to wait for arrival of police.
• Do not sign any documents having vague contents or languages you do not understand well.
• You have the right to request an interpreter in your native language. This may take more time than usual, but thus you will be enabled to prevent probable troubles that may result from the fact that you might sign a document whose contents you disagree with, because of misunderstanding.
• You are provided by Generali Insurance with a Bilateral Report of Findings on road traffic accident into Bulgarian language whose contents are identical with those used in most European countries. You are thus enabled to make sure whether there are any fields in the document whose contents you disagree with.
• You should always insist to get copies or pieces of the Green Card and Motor Third Party Liability insurance policies of the other participants in the road traffic accident. You will be thus facilitated in case of claims that would be brought once the extent of the fault of the participants becomes clearer. In case of refusal, please make sure you obtain all useful details such as: vehicle registration plate, number and period of insurance of the policy, name of the insurance company which has issued the policy, etc.
• Keep originals or photocopies of all documents concerning the road traffic accident, including those evidencing the participants’ fault and the extent of their fault about the road traffic accident. You should definitely require copies of all documents you have signed such as: Police Report on the road traffic accident, Bilateral Report of Findings regarding the road traffic accident, admission of fault statements, receipts, fines, etc.
For your convenience in case of an occurrence of road traffic accident abroad, do not hesitate to contact Generali Insurance’s twenty-four hour assistance center at the following phone: + 359 2 9267 222 and fax: +359 2 9267 402.
Tarif and tariff terms
Generali Insurance is a leading insurer on the motor third party liability insurance market by employing generally accepted best practices worldwide for risk analysis and provision of segmented tariffs. The tariff applicable to natural persons has been developed on the principle of the segmented criteria
Period of insurance
The period of insurance is one (1) year.
Subject to Art. 489 of the Insurance Code (IC) the period of insurance may be shorter than one year without, however, being shorter than 30 days, in the following cases only:
- When motor insurance policies are purchased for motor vehicles which have temporary or transit registrations pursuant to the applicable Bulgarian legislation;
- Upon purchase of border motor insurance: This is provided to cover motor vehicle drivers who have not valid insurance for the territory of the country at the time they enter the Republic of Bulgaria. Such drivers purchase border motor third party liability insurance at the border checkpoint where they enter the Republic of Bulgaria;
- Upon purchase of motor insurance policies by companies involved in import and sales of motor vehicles;
- Upon purchase of motor insurance policies for slow-moving vehicles which cannot travel at a speed faster than 30 km/h due to structural reasons. Vehicles which cannot travel at a speed faster than 30 km/h due to the nature of their load or cargo also fall into the category of slow-moving vehicles;
- Upon purchase of motor insurance policies for self propelled machines. Self propelled machine means a machine or equipment designed to perform specific operations which as an exception moves or is pulled, or otherwise transported on roads. Self propelled machines include battery-powered trucks, forklift trucks, agriculture machinery, construction machinery, etc.
Geographic area of cover
The territory of the Republic of Bulgaria, as well as of all other countries whose national insurers' bureau is a member of the Green Card system, as well as in the territory of a third country where the damage was caused to persons from a Member State in the case of travel between the territories of two Member States and provided that there is no national insurance bureau responsible for that territory throughout the term of the contract, including any period within that period when the motor vehicle is at ter any of those States.
To every insured Motor Third Party Liability insurance, Generali Insurance AD provides a free green card certificate valid for all Member States on the Green Card.